Sodium Bicarbonate vs Sodium Carbonate
In this blog, we will be discussing the differences between Sodium Bicarbonate and Sodium Carbonate. They have almost identical physical and chemical properties; however, there is a difference in their uses that may make one more desirable than the other depending on what you're looking for. If you want to learn more about these differences, how to choose the right chemical for your needs, and perhaps if you want to buy it, we are here for you!
What is Sodium Bicarbonate?
Sodium Bicarbonate is an industrial chemical consisting of elements such as Sodium, Carbon, Oxygen, and Hydrogen. It is always seen in a powdered form or a white crystalline solid. The chemical finds its major application in the food industry but is also used to make fire extinguishers and fireworks. Sodium Bicarbonate is also known as Baking Soda.
Sodium Bicarbonate is mostly used in the baking process to help give the batter the desired texture. The chemical does not have grades, but it majorly appears as Sodium Bicarbonate 99%.
What is Sodium Carbonate?
Sodium Carbonate is an industrial chemical that is used in different industries. The chemical is mostly used in textile industries, agriculture, and soap manufacturing companies as a coloring and dyeing agent, as well as fertilizers, and synthetic detergents. Water corporations and individuals often use the chemical to treat fresh bodies of water. Sodium Carbonate is otherwise known as Soda Ash or simply as Soda.
Sodium Carbonate can appear in different forms and grades. There is the Soda Ash light and the Soda Ash dense. While the Soda Ash light is edible, the Soda Ash dense is mostly used for detergent making. Sodium Carbonate can also be classified into food grade and industrial grade. Soda Ash is mostly used in the making of detergents or acts as a cleaning agent.
What is the difference between Sodium Bicarbonate and Sodium Carbonate?
Sodium Bicarbonate on its own is a weak base with elements such as Sodium, Carbon, Oxygen, and Hydrogen. It is chemically represented as NaHCO3. Sodium Carbonate, on the other hand, is a strong base that consists of Sodium, Carbon, and Oxygen. The chemical formula is represented as Na2CO3.
There has been a lot of misconceptions regarding the common Names of these two chemicals. Sodium Carbonate is otherwise known as Soda Ash or Soda. Sodium Bicarbonate is known as Baking Soda.
Functionalities and uses
Sodium Bicarbonate is an industrial chemical with different uses. It is mostly used in the food industry because it is edible. Some of its functions are highlighted down below:
- It serves as a leavening agent in baking. It aids the expansion of batter and helps bakers achieve the desired texture.
- It is used alongside sourdough to make lighter products with a less acidic taste.
- Unlike Baking Soda, you can use it to produce a baking powder that will not require acidic ingredients for activation.
- It is used in pyrotechnics for the making of fireworks, especially the black stone fireworks.
- It is effective in delaying combustion reactions. As such, it is used in firefighting to extinguish a fire as it can release carbon dioxide.
- It is used to treat or neutralize acid spills.
- It is used medicinally for the treatment of heartburn and acid ingestion.
- It can function as a hygiene product for mouth cleaning and is also useful for odor control.
- The chemical also functions as a feed supplement for making feed for animals like cattle.
Sodium Carbonate is an industrial chemical with many uses. Meanwhile, the uses of the chemical may depend on its form. Some of its uses are as follows:
- The soap-making industry uses it in the making of detergents and dishwashing soaps that you can use in household cleaning and other cleaning processes.
- The toothpaste-making industry makes use of it as a foaming agent in toothpaste.
- It is effective in the elimination of fungi and microbes.
- It can also be used for stain removal and can be used for the washing of fabrics.
- It is used for making Sodium containing compounds such as Sodium phosphate, Sodium silicate, and Borax.
Are the chemicals safe?
Sodium Bicarbonate is generally considered safe because the chemical is not toxic. Exposure to this chemical has no serious health effects, judging by its wide use in the food industry. According to the MSDS of Sodium Bicarbonate, it is not hazardous. It may only irritate the eyes due to abrasion. Proper storage and disposal of Sodium Bicarbonate need to be taken into consideration to avoid any unwanted effects.
Consuming Sodium Carbonate is unsafe because it is slightly toxic and can cause irritation to the lungs. It can also result in coughing and shortness of breath due to its harsh effect on the lungs. According to Sodium Carbonate's MSDS, using sodium carbonate as an industrial product is generally safe because, if stored and managed properly, there are no health risks. Therefore, proper storage and disposal of sodium carbonate needs to be considered to avoid any unwanted effects.
How are both chemicals made?
Industrially, Sodium Carbonate is made through the Solvay process. When CO2 and NH3 are added to a saturated solution of sodium chloride (NaCl), it creates Sodium Hydrogen carbonate or NaHCO3. Now, the ignition of this compound will remove Hydrogen, and you will get Sodium carbonate or Na2CO3.
In the case of Sodium Bicarbonate, it is industrially prepared from sodium carbonate. It is also produced by mining soda ash in the form of the ore trona. The soda ash is dissolved in water and treated with carbon dioxide. Sodium bicarbonate precipitates as a solid from this solution.
Where to buy Sodium Bicarbonate and Sodium Carbonate in bulk?
You may be able to find Sodium Bicarbonate and Sodium Carbonate in small quantities in your area. But if you want to buy large quantities of Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Bicarbonate, it is preferable to import them directly from the manufacturers. They can issue certifications and provide cost savings that are better than buying the chemical in small quantities locally or from a distributor.
Which Countries Manufacture Sodium Bicarbonate and Sodium Carbonate in Bulk?
The main producers of Sodium Carbonate are China, the United Kingdom, Kenya, Botswana. Consumption of Sodium Carbonate has increased dramatically across the world, especially in developing countries.
The consumption of Sodium Bicarbonate has also increased dramatically across the world, especially in developing countries. Therefore, its huge demand has led to a surge in companies that produce it. The leading producers of Sodium Bicarbonate are China, Belgium, Poland, India, Japan, United States of America.
How are the chemicals exported?
Sodium Carbonate is available in powder form or as granules and is available for sale in 500 grams and 1 kg packages. If you intend on buying them from the manufacturers, soda ash light is available in 40 kg packs, and soda ash dense is available in 25.1 kg packs.
Sodium Bicarbonate is shipped in the following packages:
- Plastic woven bag with PE liner with 25kg weight capacity per bag
- Plastic woven bag with PE liner with 50kg weight capacity per bag
- Plastic woven bag with PE liner with 750kg weight capacity per bag
- Plastic woven bag with PE liner with 1000kg weight capacity per bag
Where to Buy Sodium Bicarbonate and Sodium Carbonate?
Here at Camachem, we have Sodium Bicarbonate and Sodium Carbonate for sale. We export worldwide, so you can contact us for a FREE quotation today via email at [email protected] or send a message on WhatsApp for a fast response at +86-131-2037-9271.