What is Caustic Soda and How to Buy Caustic Soda
What is Caustic Soda and How to Buy Caustic Soda?
What is Caustic Soda?
Caustic Soda is an industrial chemical made up of the elements sodium, hydrogen, and oxygen. Caustic Soda is also known as Sodium Hydroxide and its chemical formula is NaOH. It comes in the forms:
- Caustic Soda Flakes 98%: These are white, translucent, solid crystals. These waxy crystals are odorless and soluble in water and glycerol.
- Caustic Soda Flakes 99%: These are white, translucent, solid crystals. These waxy crystals are odorless and soluble in water and glycerol.
- Caustic Soda Pearls 99%: These are white spherical or semi-spherical granules that are water soluble.
- Liquid Caustic Soda Lye 32%: It is a colorless and odorless solution of sodium and water.
- Liquid Caustic Soda Lye 50%: It is a colorless and odorless solution of sodium and water.
This chemical has many industrial uses, but it is most commonly used in paper industries.
Caustic Soda Uses
- in the process of chemical pulping of wood for making paper or regenerated fibers;
- for dissolving amphoteric metals and compounds;
- as an esterification and transesterification agent;
- traditionally used for making soap;
- as a catalyst for the production of biodiesel;
- in the preparation and processing of some foods;
- for washing or chemical peeling of fruits and vegetables;
- in the production of relaxers that are used for straightening hair;
- in the homes to unblock clogged drains;
- in the production of washer detergents;
- as an industrial cleaning agent because it is considered a powerful degreaser;
- in water treatments for purification and raising the pH of water supplies. This makes water less corrosive and more pure.
- in cement mixes, concrete, mortar, and grout. It helps homogenize cement mixes and increases workability of the product;
- in the process of decomposing roadkill;
- for the digestion of tissues.
Is Caustic Soda Safe?
Caustic Soda is generally considered unsafe because the chemical is toxic. Exposure to this chemical can have acute as well as chronic health effects. According to the MSDS of Caustic Soda 98% (Flakes), MSDS of Caustic Soda 99% (Flakes), MSDS of Caustic Soda Pearls 99%, MSDS of Liquid Caustic Soda Lye 32%, and MSDS of Liquid Caustic Soda Lye 50%, it can cause severe pain in the mouth, throat, and stomach as well as diarrhea and vomiting if it is ingested. It can also cause skin irritation or severe burns with scarring. Eye contact with this chemical can cause immediate pain and may even cause permanent eye damage. Furthermore, inhalation may cause respiratory irritation and serious lung injury. Chronic effects include ulceration of the nasal passage and permanent lung damage. Proper storage and disposal of Caustic Soda needs to be taken into consideration in order to avoid any unwanted effects.
How is Caustic Soda Made?
Industrially, Caustic Soda is made by variations of the electrolytic chloralkali process as a 50% solution.
Solid Caustic Soda is obtained by evaporating water from this solution. The solid form of this is most commonly sold as flakes.
Where to Buy Caustic Soda in Bulk?
You may be able to find small quantities of Caustic Soda in your area. However, in order to buy large quantities of Caustic Soda, it is preferable to import directly from the manufacturers. They can issue certifications and provide cost savings which is better than buying the chemical in small quantities locally or from a distributor.
Which Countries Manufacture Caustic Soda in Bulk?
The consumption of Caustic Soda has increased dramatically across the world, especially in developing countries. Therefore, its huge demand has led to a surge in companies that produce it. The main producers of Caustic Soda are:
- United States of America
- South Korea
How is Caustic Soda Exported?
Caustic Soda Flakes 98% and 99% are shipped in:
- 25kg PP/PE bag
- 1000kg jumbo bag
Caustic Soda Pearls 99% are shipped in:
- 25kg PP bag
- 1MT in jumbo bag
Liquid Caustic Soda Lye 32% and 50% are shipped in:
- 250kg plastic drum
- 500kg plastic drum
What is the Latest Caustic Soda Price?
As Caustic Soda is a commodity product, the price usually changes depending on the price of raw materials, logistics, and other related industrial inputs such as labor and taxes. In order to get the latest price of Caustic Soda, please contact us and we will provide a quote right up to your country.
Where to Buy Caustic Soda?
Here at Camachem we have Caustic Soda for sale. We export worldwide, so you can contact us for a FREE quote via our email address [email protected] or send a message on WhatsApp for a fast response at +86-131-2037-9271.