How to Buy Xanthates
What are Xanthates?
- Xanthate is a kind ofsalt chemical which has a slight golden yellow color because it comes from the word Xanthos, which is Greek for golden, yellowish.Xanthates are types of organosulfur compounds and have very odd odor.
- Xanthates are very important in producing cellophane and polymers from cellulose.
- Xanthates have many other important applications but the most importantis in the mining industry for flotation.
What are the Advantages of UsingXanthates inMining?
- They are used in extracting various oresand materials. The extraction of the ores is done by using sulphide flotation.
- Ores like gold and others bearing gold are extracted using the xanthate collector’s anodic oxidation. This oxidation process involves other procedures like the xanthate oxidation in forming dixanthogen, xanthate ion chemisorption, and formation of metal xanthate. These organosulfur compounds are absorbed by gold and other mineral’s surfaces which make them hydrophobic.
- The hydrophobic moleculesattach themselves to the surface which repels water making the ores float.
What are some Key Xanthates used for Mining?
- Sodium Ethyl Xanthate (SEX) – this is the strongest collector in all of xanthates and has the ability to form insoluble compounds with metallic ions like nickel, cobalt, and copper. It is popularly known in the flotation of complex sulfide minerals for rough selection
- Sodium Butyl Xanthate (SBX) – A very good collector in the flotation process. SBX is used in the flotation process of pyrite, chalcopyrite, and sphalerite. It can also be used for flotation of lead, copper, zinc, and other metal copper sulfides.
- Sodium Isopropyl Xanthate (SIPX) – similar to properties to that of sodium ethyl xanthate and an very good collector especially for metal sulfides.These are produced in either powder or capsule form. Sodium isopropyl xanthate is commonly used because of their availability. SIPX is commonly used for zinc, lead, copper, molybdenum and with some gold and pyrites.
- Sodium Isobutyl Xanthate (SIBX) –SIBX is highly effective with nonferrous metal sulfides especially copper ores, lead ores, zinc ores etc. They are also available in both powder and capsule forms. SIBX as a floatation agent is also used as hydro metallurgical precipitator and to vulcanize rubber.
- Potassium Amyl Xanthate(PAX)– PAX is a good flotation collector of oxide minerals like lead ores, copper, and oxidized sulfide. These are available in both powder and solution form. PAX is typically used in flotation of copper lead, copper nickel, and copper minerals where a strong collector that is not selective is required
What are Safety Issues to Consider?
- Xanthates are known to have some harmful effects to both the environment and to its inhabitants.
- They have the risk of combusting due to their production of carbon disulphide which is highly toxic and flammable.
- Proper storage and disposal of xanthates need to be taken in consideration in order to avoid any unwanted effects.
Buy Xanthates for Mining
Camachem has various mining chemicals for sale. Please contact us for pricing or for Xanthate MSDS or to learn more about which xanthates are recommended for your operations.