What is Calcium Carbide and How to Buy Calcium Carbide?
What is Calcium Carbide?
Calcium Carbide is an industrial chemical made up of the elements calcium and carbon. In its pure form, it appears as a colorless solid but its technical grade pieces appear as grey or brown in color. It emits an unpleasant garlic like odor in the presence of moisture. It reacts violently with water. Calcium Carbide is also known as calcium acetylide and its chemical formula is CaC2.
This chemical has many industrial uses but it is most popularly used in the chemical industries.
Calcium Carbide Uses
- Primarily, Calcium Carbide is used for the production of acetylene and calcium hydroxide. The reaction of Calcium Carbide with water results in the formation of these two.
- Acetylene made from Calcium Carbide is used for the production of polyvinyl chloride.
- Calcium Carbide is also used for the production of calcium cyanamide. For this, Calcium Carbide is reacted with nitrogen at high temperature.
- Calcium Carbide has various applications in steelmaking.
- It is used for the desulfurization of iron.
- It is used as a fuel to increase the scrap ratio to liquid iron.
- At the ladle treatment facilities, it is used as a powerful deoxidiser.
- Calcium Carbide is used in carbide lamps too.
- It is used along with calcium phosphide in floating and self igniting naval signal flares.
- It is used to determine the amount of moisture in soil.
- It is used as a mole repellant.
Is Calcium Carbide Safe?
Calcium Carbide is generally considered unsafe because the chemical is toxic. Exposure to this chemical can have acute or chronic health effects. According to the MSDS of Calcium Carbide, it may cause skin irritation, serious eye damage, and respiratory irritation. It is also toxic to aquatic life. Proper storage and disposal of Calcium Carbide needs to be taken into consideration in order to avoid any unwanted effects.
How is Calcium Carbide Made?
Industrially, Calcium Carbide is produced in an electric arc furnace from a mixture of lime and coke at high temperature.
Where to Buy Calcium Carbide in Bulk?
You may be able to find small quantities of Calcium Carbide in your area. However, in order to buy large quantities of Calcium Carbide, it is preferable to import directly from the manufacturers. They can issue certifications and provide cost savings which is better than buying the chemical in small quantities locally or from a distributor.
Which Countries Manufacture Calcium Carbide in Bulk?
The consumption of Calcium Carbide has increased dramatically across the world, especially in the developing countries. Therefore, its huge demand has led to a surge in companies that produce it. The main producers of Calcium Carbide are:
- United States of America
How is Calcium Carbide Exported?
Calcium Carbide is shipped in:
- Iron drums with 50 kg weight capacity per drum
- Iron drums with 100 kg weight capacity per drum
What is the Latest Calcium Carbide Price?
As Calcium Carbide is a commodity product, the price usually changes depending on the price of raw materials, logistics, and other related industrial inputs such as labor and taxes. In order to get the latest price of Calcium Carbide, please contact us and we will provide a quotation right up to your country.
Where to Buy Calcium Carbide?
Here at Camachem we have Calcium Carbide for sale. We export worldwide, so you can contact us for a FREE quotation via email address [email protected] or send a message on WhatsApp for a fast response at +86-131-2037-9271.