What is Propylene Glycol and How to Buy Propylene Glycol?
What is Propylene Glycol?
Propylene Glycol is an industrial chemical formed by the elements carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. It is a thick and colorless liquid. It is almost odorless and has a slightly sweet taste. It is very soluble in water, acetone, and chloroform. Propylene Glycol is also known as Methyl Ethyl Glycol, and its chemical formula is C3H8O2.
This chemical is very useful on the industrial level, but it is most popularly used in the polymer industries.
Propylene Glycol Uses
- Propylene Glycol is mostly used for the large-scale production of polymers.
- As chemical raw material for the making of unsaturated polyester resins (UPR).
- In water-based acrylic architectural paints because its slow evaporation rate allows it to stop the surface from drying.
- As a food additive in coffee-based drinks, liquid sweeteners, ice cream, and soda etc.
- In cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. E490 is the number for cosmetic products and pharmacological products.
- As a carrier or base for many types of makeup in the cosmetics industry.
- As an ingredient of vaporisers used for pharmaceutical or personal care products delivery.
- As a humectant in hand sanitisers to avoid the skin from drying.
- As a solvent and carrier for various insoluble pharmaceutical products.
- For efficiently de-icing aircrafts.
- As a replacement of ethylene glycol in environment friendly automotive antifreeze.
- As an essential ingredient of electronic cigarette liquids. It is used as both a carrier and for creating vapour in them.
- For trapping and preserving insects.
- For creating fake smoke and fog for dramatic effect.
- As an additive in PCR to decrease the melting temperature of nucleic acids.
Is Propylene Glycol Safe?
Propylene Glycol is usually deemed safe because the chemical is believed to be nontoxic. Contact with this chemical has no known health effects. According to the MSDS of Propylene Glycol, it is safe if properly administered. However, it should be properly stored and disposed off in order to avoid any unwanted effects.
How is Propylene Glycol Made?
Industrially, Propylene Glycol is prepared from propylene oxide. There are two methods for this i.e., non catalytic high temperature process and catalytic, low temperature method.
Where to Buy Propylene Glycol in Bulk?
You might find minimum quantities of Propylene Glycol in your region. However, to get bulk amounts of Propylene Glycol, it is suitable to import directly from the producers. They can provide certifications and are cost effective which is better than buying the chemical in small quantities from local retailers.
Which Countries Manufacture Propylene Glycol in Bulk?
The utilization of Propylene Glycol has increased immensely across the world, especially in the developing countries. Therefore, its great demand has paved a way for the establishment of a large number of companies that produce it. The main producers of Propylene Glycol are:
- United States of America
- South Korea
How is Propylene Glycol Exported?
Propylene Glycol is shipped in:
- 200kg weight capacity per plastic drum.
- 200kg weight capacity per steel drum.
- 1000kg weight capacity per IBC drum.
What is the Latest Propylene Glycol Price?
Given that Propylene Glycol is a commodity, it is to be noted that the price typically varies depending upon the cost of industrial inputs such as raw materials, logistics, labour and taxes. So, to get the current price of Propylene Glycol, please contact us and we will provide a quotation right up to your country.
Where to Buy Propylene Glycol?
Here at Camachem we stock Propylene Glycol for sale. We export across the world, so don’t hesitate to can contact us for a FREE quotation via email [email protected] or by sending a message on WhatsApp for a fast response at +86-131-2037-9271.