Calcium Hypochlorite is an inorganic compound. The molecular formula of Calcium Hypochlorite is Ca(CIO)2. Its molecular weight is 142.974g/mol. It is popularly used as an active ingredient in commercial products such as chlorine powder, bleaching powder, or chlorinated lime, often used in water treatment.

Calcium hypochlorite can also be referred to as bleaching powder, chloride of lime, calcium oxychloride, and hypochlorous acid calcium salt. Calcium Hypochlorite is often used in sanitizing pools and disinfecting drinking water. It can also be used as an oxidizing agent and in the manufacture of chloroform.

Calcium Hypochlorite as useful as it can also be dangerous if not properly handled. This piece talks explicitly about the hazards associated with the chemical.

Contact with skin

Contact of Calcium Hypochlorite with the skin causes burns and irritation. Calcium Hypochlorite can be both corrosive and irritating. Any exposed tissue during contact with Calcium Hypochlorite is in danger of getting injured. The more exposed to the chemical you are, the more severe the effects on you. Calcium Hypochlorite is also likely to cause pain, redness of the skin, severe skin burns, and blisters.

What should be done?

Once Calcium Hypochlorite comes in contact with your skin, ensure you remove contaminated clothes immediately. Wash affected areas immediately with a large quantity of soap and water. You must seek medical attention as soon as possible. You shouldn't take clothes contaminated with Calcium Hypochlorite to your house to avoid contaminating your family members.

You should also put on protective clothing such as headgear, gloves, footwear, and suits to prevent contact at all. You can get recommendations on the most suitable protective clothing that can be used from safety manufacturers and suppliers. You should also ensure that all your protective clothing is always neat before use.

Contact with eyes

Contact with Calcium Hypochlorite can cause severe irritation and burn to the eyes. Exposed tissue when the eye comes in contact with Calcium Hypochlorite might undergo injury. Calcium Hypochlorite can also cause redness of the eyes, blurred vision, pains, and severe burns.

What should be done?

Once calcium hypochlorite comes in contact with the eyes, it should be flushed immediately with a large quantity of water for 15 minutes, at least. The upper and lower eyelids should be lifted occasionally while flushing the eyes. When possible contact lenses should be removed. You should seek medical attention immediately.

Impact-resistant eye protectors should be worn with goggles or side shields when working in/around an area with calcium Hypochlorite. You should always wear a face shield with goggles when you work with highly irritating, corrosive, or toxic chemicals.

What happens when you ingest Calcium Hypochlorite

The toxic effect of ingesting calcium Hypochlorite is due to the corrosive characteristics of hypochlorite. If a small quantity of Calcium hypochlorite is ingested(about 3-6% of hypochlorite) you might experience gastrointestinal irritation.

However, when you ingest Calcium Hypochlorite in high quantities (about 10% or higher of hypochlorite) you might suffer serious corrosive injuries to your throat, mouth, stomach, and esophagus with perforation, bleeding, and possibly death. If you survive a severe intoxication of Calcium Hypochlorite you're going to have to deal with a narrow esophagus and permanent scars.

What should be done?

Do not drink, eat or smoke in an area where Calcium Hypochlorite is being used. Ensure you wash your hands before eating in such an environment.

Anybody exposed to the chemical should be removed from the source of exposure. Once Calcium Hypochlorite is ingested, the victim's mouth should be rinsed, and then given about one or two glasses of water to drink. Such a person should be referred for immediate medical attention. Vomiting should not be induced at all. If such a person's breathing and/or heart action has stopped Rescue breathing and CPR should be carried out. Such a person is advised to be under medical observation for about 1 or 2 days.

Effects on Environment

Calcium Hypochlorite can be used in small quantities through household items that contain them however exposure to a large quantity of Calcium Hypochlorite is dangerous to the environment. Calcium Hypochlorite is a toxic chemical to aquatic animals. And if exposed to them can cause death in massive numbers.

Calcium Hypochlorite decomposes when it comes in contact with acids thereby producing oxygen and chlorine which is likely to cause explosion and fire hazards.

What should be done?

Calcium Hypochlorite should be kept properly to avoid exposure to the environment thereby causing hazards for those who come in contact with it. Calcium Hypochlorite should be kept in dry and airtight containers. It should also be disposed of with local regulations. Ensure if you're working with Calcium Hypochlorite you wear all the necessary protective clothing.

Is Calcium Hypochlorite Flammable

Calcium Hypochlorite is not flammable but is an oxidizer. Calcium Hypochlorite can explode when in contact with combustibles such as paper, oil, and wood. When it comes in contact with fire it gives off toxic or irritating fumes. There's the risk of explosion and a fire when it comes in contact with acid, reducing agents, and combustible substances.

Precautions

Prevention, they say, is better than cure, so it's easier to avoid hazards than find a cure for them. Calcium Hypochlorite is an acidic chemical and should be handled with care. Before handling calcium hypochlorite you should learn how it is to be handled properly.

Calcium Hypochlorite should be stored in a cool and tightly closed container in a properly ventilated area. Calcium Hypochlorite shouldn't come in contact with strong acids such as nitric, sulfuric, and hydrochloric acid.

To avoid any health-related hazards, ensure you wear protective clothing always. In possible locations, enclose areas where calcium hypochlorite is in use and make use of local exhaust ventilation at the chemical release site. If enclosure or ventilation isn't used or can't be provided ensure the respirator is worn at all times.