Sorbic Acid/Potassium Sorbate
|≤ 3 ppm
|≤ 10 ppm
|≤ 1 ppm
|≤ 10 ppm
|≤ 2 ppm
|≤ 10 ppm
|7.8 (10 g/l, H₂O, 20.1 °C)
|1.95 - 543 g/l
Sorbic Acids are organic compounds that occur naturally and serve as food preservatives. The Potassium salt of a Sorbic acid is called Potassium Sorbate. It is used in the food industry in the preservation of food and wine. It is also used for preserving personal-care products and toiletries. Potassium Sorbate is found naturally in berries. Meanwhile, commercial Potassium Sorbate is manufactured synthetically. It is made from the treatment of Sorbic Acid with Potassium hydroxide. The chemical formula of Potassium Sorbate is C6H7KO2.
Potassium Sorbate appears as a white crystalline solid or as a white powder. The chemical has a slight odor that is not pungent. It is highly soluble in water but slightly soluble in ethanol and acetone. The chemical can irritate the eye, skin, and nose and hence should be handled appropriately.
Chemical Applications and Strengths
Potassium Sorbate is a very useful chemical. It finds application in the food industry and in industries that produce personal care products. Some of its application band strengths are highlighted below:
- It is used to discourage yeast and mold in foods. Companies that produce cheese, yogurt, wine, dehydrated fruits, and dried meat make use of this chemical for this purpose.
- Fast-food restaurants use the chemical to prepare milkshakes and hotcake syrups. Some of their dried products also contain a small percentage of Potassium Sorbate.
- Companies producing herbal dietary supplements also use the chemical to discourage microbes and molds. It is also used to enhance the shelf life of the product.
- Personal care product companies use this chemical to prevent the development of microorganisms in their products.
- It is also a perfect replacement for parabens in certain manufacturing processes.
- It can also be effective in stopping the multiplication of yeast.
- It serves as a wine stabilizer in the wine production process. It is also used to prevent refermentation in winemaking.
Buy Sorbic Acid/ Potassium Sorbate