Tara Gum is a natural chemical that is obtained from Caesalpinia Spinosa seeds. The endosperm of the Tara tree is what is used to produce the chemical. The tree is mainly grown in Peru and that is why the chemical is otherwise known as Peruvian Carob. It belongs to the group of chemicals known as Galactomannan. These chemicals are polysaccharides made up of mannose and galactose. Tara Gum is prepared through the process of treating the seeds with sulfuric acid. There is also a roasting method that helps separate germs from the endosperm. The chemical is majorly used as an additive that helps in thickening and stabilizing foods.
Tara Gum is a white powdered substance. It is odorless and does not pose any harm when handled. The chemical is partially soluble in cold water and highly soluble in hot water. It is insoluble in organic solvents such as Ethanol. The chemical forms a gel when Sodium borate is added to its aqueous solution.
Chemical Applications and Strengths
Tara Gum is a chemical that is mostly used in the food industry. It serves different functions as an additive. The following are strengths and applications of Tara Gum:
- It is used as a gelling agent to create a gel form of food, beverages, and drinks. When it reacts with sodium bromate, it forms a gel.
- In the food industry, Tara Gum also helps in different good processing methods. It is used as a thickening agent for making food products thick and is good for packaging. It can also serve as a stabilizer and emulsifier in food processing.
- It is used in different food processing companies. Tara Gum is used by bakeries, ice cream producing companies, frozen product companies, and meat dressing companies.
- It aids in the control of ice meltdown and also gives a good mouth taste in ice cream.
- It is good for giving a cream texture to frozen desserts, custards, dairy products, and puddings.
- It enhances the softness of bakery products. It also prolongs shelf life and aids moisture retention.
- It helps in giving viscosity to beverage products.
Buy Tara Gum