Other Trading Names:
- Ferric Oxide
- Ferric Iron
- Red Iron Oxide
- Iron Sesquioxide
Types of Packaging
- 20 kg weight capacity per bag
- 25 kg weight capacity per bag
Iron Oxide is an inorganic compound. It is a very useful chemical compound which is made up of iron and oxygen. It occurs by the oxidation of iron. Its chemical formula is Fe2O3.
Iron Oxide has the appearance of a red brown solid. It mostly comes in the powdered form. It is an odourless compound. It is insoluble in water.
Chemical Applications and Strengths
Iron Oxide is an extremely efficient chemical compound and therefore, has many commercial applications. Its main applications and strengths are:
- Iron Oxide is most popularly used as feedstock in the iron and steel industries for the mass production of iron, steel, and other alloys.
- The fine powder of iron oxide is known as rouge and it is used to polish metallic jewellery and lenses. It is also used as a cosmetic.
- Rouge cuts more slowly than modern polishes but it is still widely used because it gives a superior finish.
- It is quite extensively used as a pigment. It is approved for use in cosmetics.
- Iron oxide is used as a pigment in dental composites along with titanium oxide.
- Hematite is the essential component of the Swedish paint colour Falu red.
- It is used for magnetic recording. It is a common magnetic compound which is used in magnetic storage and recording media such as magnetic disks and magnetic tapes.
- It is very useful in photocatalysis. It is used as a photo anode for solar water oxidation.
- Iron Oxide is used in many medicines too. Calamine lotion which is used to treat itchiness is composed mainly of a combination of zinc oxide and iron oxide. It is an active ingredient in this and acts as antipruritic.
Buy Iron Oxide